2023 FESTIVAL OFFICIAL RULES
- NJF Performance Code Of Conduct: As director/school representative, I declare that our school will follow all the National Jazz Festival rules and regulations. We enter the NJF promising to uphold the integrity of the festival and look forward to participation in a fun and fair environment.
- Canceled event: the NJF reserves the right to cancel the festival due to circumstances related to travel/venue/city restrictions, lack of participation or funding.
- The NJF will not be liable for any traveling costs associated with a cancellation of the event. We strongly recommend travel insurance for all expenses.
- Refund Policy: Bands and performers that cancel will receive a refund if the cancellation is received as follows: Refunds will be given if the cancellation for bands or performers is made prior to January 15, 2023. No refund will be given if cancellation for bands or performers is made after that date.
- Privacy/Images: All individuals participating in any manner in any part of the Festival grant permission to the NJF to take and use: photographs and video images of Festival participants for unlimited use in news releases, advertisement, promotional, or other commercial purposes, including but not limited to web sites or other electronic media without any compensation to the Festival participant. All such photographic and video images, negatives, prints and digital reproductions shall be the property of the NJF.
- All students participating in an ensemble must be from the same school. All-star ensembles from the same district or ensembles comprised of students from more than 1 school in a district will be allowed to perform in the “non-competitive” category.
- All ensembles and individuals must be registered by a school director or school official to ensure that the students are in “good standing” with their school and also to ensure that the school is aware of the students’ participation. This includes the “Pop-Capella”, Jazz Vocal Solo, Solo Jazz Piano, and Jazz Composition Categories.
- Schools may enter more than one ensemble in each category and each performing group will be placed in the appropriate division by school population. If a school registers more than one ensemble, those ensembles will be in the same division. Ensembles will be received in order of registration. For schools that have more than one ensemble however wish not to compete against their own school, they choose to perform in the non-competitive division.
- If a school has more than 1 ensemble in a performance category, each ensemble must be comprised entirely by other (different) students. The only exception would be in instrumental ensembles where the student is playing an entirely different instrument in each ensemble. There are no exceptions in the vocal categories.
- All self-reporting of school information, ensemble information, and individual information must be truthful. Ensembles or individuals reporting inaccurate or false information in order to gain a competitive advantage will be disqualified and not allowed to participate in future National Jazz Festivals.
- All rules and regulations of each ensemble and individual category must be followed.